Does your dog eat his meal too fast?
Does it result in them choking or throwing up?
This behaviour can be due to:
- Food Guarding
- If your dog eats once a day, you might want to try dividing his daily amount of food into 2-3meals a day. It will keep his belly full for the duration of the day. If he eats just once a day, he will be hungry before the next meal which may cause him to eat excessively fast.
- Make sure he gets the appropriate portion of food for his size. If your dog is skinny, are you sure he/she is getting the right amount of food? You can get a free nutritional consult with our technician and we will look at your pet’s diet with you.
- Does your dog have worms? A large worm population can cause absorption issues and can contribute to malnutrition, causing excessive hunger.
- When it’s meal time, make sure the environment is calm, not surrounded with a lot of stimuli like noise or other animals. This way you will reduce the stress around your dog.
- Put a ball in his food or buy a bowl built for fast eaters that are available in all pet stores.
- Mixing water in with the food can make it easier to swallow and help to prevent choking. It’s also a good option if your dog doesn’t drink a lot of water during the day.
Written by Lise Benoit