Here are 5 reasons that you should adopt a mature pet:
- House training: if the idea of puppy pads and soiled carpets seems unappealing, you will find many previously house trained pets at your local rescue or shelter.
- Cost: though there is a cost associated with adopting a pet, it really is a bargain once you break it down. Most pets that are available for adoption come already vaccinated, dewormed and spayed or neutered. The adoption fee is likely a fraction of the cost of those services.
- Behaviour: if you’re checking out adult pets, it’s also easier to see what kind of personality they have. Every dog has different temperaments and energy levels, but as puppies, it can be a bit trickier to judge. Drop by your local shelter and see who’s the best fit for your family.
- Size: you’d be amazed how many pets end up abandoned simply because they’re new owner didn’t expect them to grow so big. This is another perk to adopting a mature pet. There’s no guessing involved. What you see is what you get!
- Second chances: some people assume that only “problem pets” end up at a shelter. This couldn’t be further from the truth! People give up pets for numerous reasons, from allergies to changes in the household (i.e. new baby).
So, if you’ve been thinking of adding a furry friend to your family please consider adopting!